07 March 2011

Battle of the Sellouts



This is really interesting to me, not the stats themselves, but just that we find this kind of information really important and interesting.

I just read an interview with David Sedaris in Relevant Mag about the difference between living in the United States and living in Europe (because he lived in France, and now lives in England, but he grew up in North Carolina). He said one of the main differences was how common and acceptable it is for us to talk about money. It’s regular small talk in America to discuss occupations, and more specifically, their salaries. But in Europe, nobody talks about that.

I went out to sushi on Friday night with some friends and a few friends of friends, and I almost found myself asking an acquaintance how well his new job paid in comparison to his old one (he’s a nurse, but got his dream job of working in the dark room of an analog camera store). Although he probably wouldn’t have cared, I remembered that article and held my tongue.

No comments:

ARCHIVES

About Me

My photo
My name is Trina. I put hot sauce on everything.

Followers